The interview process for hiring apprentices is not dissimilar from hiring regular staff. You may want to bear in mind that it could be the young person’s first interview, so you may need to provide additional support and guidance. Therefore, it’s a good idea to keep the interview fairly short and concise.
Below are a few sample questions you may want to ask your interviewee.
- Why have you applied for this apprenticeship?
- Give an example of a time when you have coped well under pressure.
- What do you think we want from our apprentice?
- Apprenticeships mean working full time alongside studying for a qualification. How will you prioritise your workload?
- Rate your organisational skills on a scale of 1-5 (5 being the highest). Give an example of when you have used these skills.
- Give an example of how you have dealt with a difficult situation.
- What do you think we mean by customer-focused service and how will it relate to this job?
- What is your understanding of equal opportunities and how it applies to this job?
- Give an example of a time you have worked independently.
- Give an example of a time you have worked as part of a team.
- Where do you see yourself in five years time?
- Have you got any questions for us?
- Is there anything else you would like to tell us to support your application?